COVID19 Temporary Building Permit Submittal Process
The process for submitting building permit applications during the period that City Hall is closed to the public is outlined below. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Please open the Application for Permit, and save the completed application in PDF form to your desktop.
- If you are a licensed contractor, you must include copies of your current City of Escondido Business License and copy of your current California State Contractor License (CSLB) number.
- If you are the owner of the property and not using a licensed contractor, you must complete the Owner/Builder document found at the bottom of the page in the “Important Documents to assist you with the Building Process” section. Upload the Owner/Builder PDF to your desktop, fill out in its entirety and save completed PDF.
Note: If your project is one of the following, please review the additional documents that must be completed and submitted in addition to the Application and Owner/Builder certification. These forms are found at the bottom of the page under “Important Documents to assist you with the Building Process”.
- Water heater replacement of a tank type. Submit the application and the Owner/Builder certification if no contractor.
- Water heater replacement of a tankless type. Submit the application and the Owner/Builder certification if no contractor, the water heater manufacturer’s specification, a site plan showing the location of the water heater, and a gas line diagram.
- Electric Service upgrade. Submit the application and the Owner/builder certification if no contractor, the SDG&E service work order, for services 400AMP or more an electrical single line diagram.
- Plumbing and Mechanical trade permits. Submit the application and the Owner/Builder certification if no contractor, a detailed description of the scope of work, indicate if additional trade work will be part of the permit such as gas or electrical, the manufacturer’s specifications, and for Mechanical the required CF1R-ALT -02 forms.
- Solar permits. Submit the application and a set of plans in PDF form. Specification sheets (only those sheets to be printed, an extra charge will be required for printing the entire specifications).
- Reroof permits. Submit the Application and the Owner/builder certification if no contractor, if a licensed roofing contractor the Reroof Certification form, the manufacturer’s ICC approval Number and Cool Roof number.
- All other permits. New submittal for Addition, Alteration, Tenant Improvement, New Single Family Dwelling, and New Commercial must submit a detailed scope of work with the completed Application for Permit and City Staff will contact you with a detailed list of application documents and specifications necessary for the permit process.
Please attach your accurately completed application with all required documents necessary to begin the permitting process to email@example.com. You will receive a confirmation email of receipt. City staff will process the applications in the order they are received and staff contact you to determine fees, arrange payment and permit issuance. Documents must be saved in PDF form.
The Building Division protects life and property through the application and enforcement of codes and standards for the construction and maintenance of buildings and structures in the city.
City Hall, First Floor
201 North Broadway
Escondido, CA 92025
Virtual office hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: (760) 839-4647
Fax: (760) 432-6819
Inspection Request Line: (760) 839-4646
*please note new inspection request call-in deadline (by 3pm previous business day)
NEW Inspection Request Deadline
Inspection requests received by 3 p.m. on any business day will be scheduled for the next business day. Inspection requests received after 3 p.m. will be scheduled in two business days. Please call us at 760-839-4646 to request your inspection. For an inspection time window for an inspection that is already scheduled, please call (760) 839-4647 and press “0” any time after 8:30 a.m. on the morning of your inspection.
Building Permit Reports - Link will open new page with Building Permit Report history.
Important Documents to assist you with the Building Process