The City of Escondido is committed to reducing the spread of COVID-19 and protecting the safety of employees and customers.
- Facial coverings are required at all times.
- Bring your own material and supplies.
- Visitors are encouraged to show up individually to conduct business instead of sending a whole development project team, for example.
- People will be admitted incrementally to City service counters (e.g. one customer at a time).
- We also encourage the public to conduct business remotely so that you can receive City feedback from the comfort of your own home or office. We have established an email address for general planning-related questions: email@example.com. Once you send an email, our team will direct your inquiry to the appropriate staff member and you should receive a response promptly.
- At this time we are experiencing a high volume permit requests. Due to this volume some building services are experiencing some slight delays. Please discuss timelines with our staff prior to submittal.
City Hall, First Floor
201 North Broadway
Escondido, CA 92025
Hours of operation are Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Planning Division assists in maintaining and improving the quality of life and the environment through the General Plan Implementation Program and the development review process.
"Special" Temporary Use Permits - Business Recovery Strategy:
In an effort to expedite a path to economic recovery and to further assist local businesses to reopen responsibly, the City approved a package of actions that provide opportunities for businesses to temporarily expand their operational space and market their business outside. Some activities require a permit. Some do not. For more information about how businesses might be able to expand sales and restaurant seating into outdoor areas such as private parking lots and public sidewalks, please visit the link below.
Cityworks - Your One Stop Shop For Online Services:
We are pleased to announce that electronic application submittal and electronic plan review are available for development services starting on July 1, 2020. Many things you can do in-person at development services can now be done online through your own personal Cityworks dashboard (https://cwols.escondido.org/portal). Examples include submitting applications for permits and/or business licenses, making online payments, submitting files and information, checking the status of a permit application, downloading plan review comments and approved plans, and scheduling inspections. Moving forward in the Planning Division, temporary banner permits, sign permits, and temporary use permits must be made via the Cityworks online portal. Other planning, building, and engineering permit applications must still be submitted in-person at the appropriate development services counter.
Community Facilities District (CFD):
The City requires new residential development to pay its fair share of impacts to providing municipal services. New residential projects can enter in a maintenance and services CFD or separate funding mechanism to ensure that adequate levels of services and maintenance of infrastructure are paid for by the new development. This will impact new zoning and entitlement projects, as well as existing projects that are in process and not yet approved for entitlement. The boundaries of the district are citywide. Only new residential projects constructed within the city are subject to this CFD. Taxable parcels are created as new residential projects, requesting entitlements or construction permits from the city. Projects that received entitlement prior to May 13, 2020 are exempt. Please refer to the following link for more information about the CFD, how it works, and how much the annual base tax rate will be to ensure that adequate levels of services and maintenance are paid for by new development.
Zoning and Property Information:
The following zoning and property information is provided as a public service for your convenience. Every effort has been made to achieve accuracy, but the Planning Division should be contacted to help verify and provide up-to-date information. The City of Escondido shall not incur any liability for errors or omissions with respect to the information provided in this service.
Current Projects and Development Activity Information: