What is a comprehensive street tree inventory?
- A catalog of all trees and planting sites in the public right of way.
- A record of the location , species, health, and maintenance needs of every city tree.
What are the benefits of a tree inventory?
- Provides a tool for evaluating the health and safety of public trees and the urban forest
- Allows us to measure the economic and health benefits of “green infrastructure”
- Serves as the basis for a citywide Urban Forest Management Plan
- Reveals important information about species distribution throughout the city
- Identifies vacant tree planting sites
- Acts as a centerpiece for public outreach and public education about tree health
- Increases funding changes for forestry grants (e.g., tree planting and public education)
Who will conduct Escondido’s tree Inventory? And when?
- West Coast Arborist Group, a team of certified arborists
- Completion time: Approximately six months, from August 20th 2013 until mid – March 2014
What kinds of information will be collected?
- Street address
- Tree size(diameter)
- Tree size(height)
- Clearance required
- Type and size of planting location
- Maintenance needs
- Hazard potential
- Survey date
How will the data be managed after the inventory is completed?
- Data will be collected on handheld computers with GIS and GPS capabilities. “Arbor Access” software will allow City users to update existing data; manage resident requests; generate work orders; and create customized reports