City Hall, First Floor
201 North Broadway
Escondido, CA 92025
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
The Code Enforcement Division protects life, safety, and property through the enforcement of codes and standards for the maintenance and regulation of property, buildings, and structures in the city. The Division also enforces the requirements for the licensing of all persons conducting business within the city of Escondido.
Code Enforcement rountinely investigates complaints regarding the following:
- Property Maintenance Violations EMC 6-484
- Rubbish, trash, junk, scrap metal, lumber or construction material, etc.
- EMC 6-484(a)(1); 6-485
- Abandoned, discarded, or unused equipment / appliances / fixtures in public view. EMC 6-484(a)(2); 6-485
- Trash cans, bins, boxes & recycle containers stored in public view.
- EMC 6-484(a)(3); 6-485
- Unpermitted or improper use of tarps, plastic sheeting and similar coverings. EMC 6-484(a)(5); 6-484(a)(5)(ii); 6-485
- Broken windows EMC 6-484(b)(3); 6-485
- Graffiti on building exteriors, fences, patios, walls, driveways, walkways. EMC 6-484(b)(5); 6-485
- Polluted pool / pond / other water body. EMC 6-484(c); 6-485
- Allowing / maintaining weeds. EMC 6-484(d)(1); 6-485
- Dead, diseased, decayed, unsightly, overgrown or hazardous vegetation. EMC 6-484(d)(2); 6-485
- Vegetation growing into, upon or above public right of way.
- EMC 6-484(d)(3); 6-485
- Excess irrigation resulting in water flowing from the property.
- EMC 6-484(d)(7); 6-485
- Mosquito breeding ground. EMC 17-16
- No house/address numbers. EMC 23-24
- Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Program (vehicles on private property only)
- Abandoned, wrecked, dismantled, or inoperative vehicles or parts thereof, including motor homes, trailers, campers and boats, or any portions of any of the above, unless stored within an entirely enclosed space. EMC 6-484(a,6)
- Building Violations
- The purpose of the California Building Code is to provide minimum standards to safeguard life or limb, health, property and public welfare by regulating and controlling the design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, location and maintenance of all buildings and structures within this jurisdiction and certain equipment specifically regulated.
- Construction without permit EMC 6-12, EMC 6-13
- Violations of the California Building Code
- Dangerous Buildings
- Violations of the Uniform Code For The Abatement of Dangerous Buildings
- Unsecured structures
- Structures deemed to be dangerous
- Violations of Uniform Housing Code
- Insect or rodent infestation
- Lack of utilities
- Shopping Cart Retrieval
- Sign Abatement (illegal signs in the right-of-way)
- Title 25–Mobile Homes/Parks
- Yard Parking EMC 28-300
- Zoning Violations
- Unpermitted use of a property
- Excessive numbers of animals