The City of Escondido is seeking adult volunteers to serve as docents at Queen Califia's Magical Circle sculpture garden in Kit Carson Park. The sculpture garden is located on the western side of Kit Carson Park in the Iris Sankey Arboretum. No specific knowledge of art is required, just a desire to allow the public to experience artist Niki de Saint Phalle's only American sculpture garden.
- Queen Califia's Magical Circle sculpture garden is open Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 am - noon, in addition to 2nd & 4th Saturdays of every month from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m..
- Docents are in a visible area and have the option to sit at the entrance or inside the exhibit.
- Docents meet visitors upon entry, walk throughout the sculpture garden during their stay, answer questions, and ensure that visitors are aware of the few but important rules including no eating in or climbing on the art.
- Information is displayed in a kiosk at the site to answer questions visitors may have and docents are provided with training and an informational binder to share with the public.
- There is no fee to visit, and visitors may come and stay as long as they want to experience the art. Most visitors enjoy taking photographs of the very colorful pieces.
- This is a low-key, simple, and easy way to provide a valuable service to your community, and a great opportunity to meet people of all ages from near and far!
For more information please contact Bernadette Bjork, at (760) 839-4631.