October is ‘College and Career Connections Month’, a collaborative effort led by the Escondido Chamber of Commerce that brings together Escondido’s education and workforce development partners for a series of valuable events. The month kicks off with a candidates’ forum on October 8 and ends with a small business luncheon on October 24. In between are a job fair, COMPACT’s job shadow day and other events focused on local education and workforce development. For more information and a complete schedule of events go to www.escondidochamber.org.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT UPDATES
- We are averaging 32 customers at the Building Counter for September.
- 160 permits were issued for the month with 8 photovoltaic permits. Total project valuation for month was $1,407,350.
- The inspectors did 310 inspections for the month. Average of 20 inspections a day.
- Plans were submitted for a condominium conversion at 204 Clark St for 3 buildings, 20 units.
- The monthly building permit report for September is attached.
Maple Street Pedestrian Plaza
The security cameras have been ordered and will be added to the list of work to be completed. The artist returned this week and has completed the stone veneer to the gate way signs.
2011/2012 Pavement Management Project
The paving of Quince Street between the Mercado block and Valley Parkway is set for 10/11/12. Grand Ave between Maple Street and Centre City Parkway has been scheduled for 10/15 through 10/18. All work will be performed at night to lessen the impact on the surrounding businesses.
Main Library Fiber Optics Project
The contractor is pulling the fiber optics cable between the two city facilities this week.
Old Escondido Neighborhood Stop Sign Project
The contractor has 4 locations that need to be completed prior to finalizing this project.
The water main replacement design is nearing completion. All traffic signal pole foundations have been constructed except for the pole foundation at the north east corner of the intersection. A conflict with an unmarked dry utility will require a review prior to constructing this item.
Mission Ave 69 kv Underground Electrical Line
The contractor is set to install the third underground vault along Mission Avenue at Washington Avenue this week. Conduit installation has begun along Commercial Street, with temporary paving set for Thursday morning. SDG&E is asking the prime contractor to activate a second and third crew to expedite the project before the end of the year.
Westfield Mall Expansion
The demolition of the existing structures has been completed. The contractor is set to begin construction of the on-site private storm drain next week.
- The United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission will hold a public meeting on the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station on October 9 from 6 to 9:30 p.m. in Dana Point. A flyer with more information is attached.
- Due to an increase in undesirable/criminal activity occurring in Grape Day Park and surrounding areas such as the Arts Center and the Starbucks patio area, I have assigned staff members from the Police Department, City Attorney’s Office and Public Works Department to serve on a task force to address the issue. It will be headed up by Capt. Bob Benton.
- On September 25, 2012, the Escondido Police Department is issued a “Sex Offender Community Notification” to the residents in the immediate area of Washington Avenue and Broadway within the City of Escondido. The Escondido Police was notified that a registered sex offender, Mark William Pliska, age 58, was residing in the City of Escondido as a transient and frequently sleeps on private property in the area of 600 North Broadway in Escondido. At this time, the Escondido Police Department is not aware of any criminal violations committed by Pliska. The department is merely notifying the public of Pliska’s presence. Our information indicates that Pliska works in the area and has been sleeping on private property at his place of employment. Pliska is a registered sex offender with the California Department of Justice and the County of San Diego for being convicted of PC 288 (a), Lewd Acts with a child less than 14 years of age and PC 314.1, indecent exposure.
- On Saturday, September 29, 2012, several officers from the Escondido Police Department, as well as outside agencies conducted several house checks on PC 290 registrants. Persons required to register as a sex offender are contacted regularly by the police department to ensure they are registering as required by law and to make sure they are in compliance with any terms of probation.