Upcoming sports tournaments:
November 29th and 30th – Surf Cup Soccer Tournament at Ryan Park. This is a huge soccer tournament played all over the county with many games played at Ryan Park. We understand that the Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, and Best Western in Escondido are all booked solid for that weekend.
November 27th, 29th, 30th, & Dec 1st – Thanksgiving Ice hockey tournament at Iceoplex. This is a huge tournament for ice hockey. Teams are coming from all over Southern California, Arizona, and Las Vegas. Motels are booking up and teams are having trouble finding hotels in the area to accommodate them.
Trout Derby at Dixon Lake:
Over Veteran's Day weekend, (November 8 – 11) the City will host the 33rd Annual Dixon Lake Trout Derby. Large trout and great fishing have been the hallmark of this annual tournament. To make this fun-filled family event competitive for the novice, as well as the skilled angler, there are a variety of ways to win. Prizes will be awarded for the following five categories: largest trout of the der-by, largest in each age category (senior, adult and youth), first and second largest trout of the day, smallest trout of the derby and for the first 15 trout brought in having a plastic clip on their dorsal fin. To enter, each fisherman must purchase a daily permit normally required to fish in the lake ($7.00 adults, $5.00 for kids under 16 and for seniors over 60). There is no additional charge to enter the derby, but the $5 vehicle entry fee into the park will be charged each day of the derby. Fish must be weighed in during derby hours, 6:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m., on the day they are caught. Contestants can only win one prize so chances of winning are
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT UPDATES
- Last week, Walk San Diego released its bi-annual Walk Scorecard that rates the walkability of Cities with San Diego County. Escondido's relative ranking remained unchanged at #14 among the 18 Cities surveyed. However, Escondido's overall score improved by 7.5% as a result of higher rankings in all three major categories: policy, implementation and the status of walking.
- The request for annexation and tentative map for a 21-lot planned development have been submitted by New Urban West, Inc. for their property on Amanda Lane.The completeness review is underway.
- The Building Monthly Activity Report for October is attached.
- The Building Division counter issued 42 permits for the week with a total valuation of $2,595,412. Permits were issued for the new three-story HARRF administration building at 1521 S Hale Ave. Additional permits were issued for two new buildings at the Contempo townhouse project (a total of 8 units) and for a new single family dwelling at 3932 Tierra Vista Place, a remaining fire rebuild from the 2007 wildfires.
- The plans for the assisted living apartments at 930 Monticello Dr. have been approved by the Building Division, with approvals from other department still pending.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS
2013 - 2014 Pavement Repair and Rehabilitation Program:
The pavement repair program will resurface over 3.75 million square feet of City roadways. The project will be presented at the November 6th council meeting for approval to George Weir Asphalt, the lowest responsible bidder, with a bid amount of $2,420,708.25. The list of streets to be included in this year's program is available on the City's website: https://www.escondido.org/Data/Sites/1/media/PDFs/Engineering/PavementRehabStreetList.pdf
Grape Street Public Improvement Project:
The preconstruction meeting has been held. The Notice to Proceed will be issued for Tuesday, November 12th. Tuesday will be day 1 of a 60 working day construction period.
Escondido Creek Trail Lighting:
The contractor has completed the conduit installation along the north side of the channel. The contractor has moved to the south side of the channel and has proceeded to install conduit from Broadway to Juniper Street. The delivery of the pedestrian lighting poles was completed on Monday, November 4th.
Encino Drive & El Dorado Drive - Storm Drain Replacement:
Staff has had a second meeting with the property owner to secure the drainage easement that is needed for this project. No positive information to report.
A redwood trellis has been purchased and construction should begin this week. The structure will be located along the north entrance to the park near the parking area.
Contempo Townhomes -Tract 921:
Water quality testing began on October 30th and should be completed by November 7th. Orange Street between 2nd Avenue and 4th Avenue was resurfaced on Monday, November 4th.
Stone Brewery Traffic Signal:
The project is on hold; the contractor is still awaiting delivery of the signal poles.
Lincoln Avenue @ Escondido Boulevard Gas Main Testing Station:
SDG&E has hired a contractor to install a gas line testing station on Lincoln Avenue west of Escondido Boulevard. The work will require a shutdown of the existing 16" high pressure gas main located in Lincoln Avenue. The shutdown is scheduled for December 7th of this year.
On Sunday and Monday fire personnel participated in the County Wide Rescue Drill in San Diego. Crews from our Truck Company participated in a simulated Semi Tractor Trailer vehicle accident with people trapped. There was also a high angle rescue simulation and a confined space exercise. The County Wide drill is conducted annually and changes locations each year.
The fire department is hosting a 3 day North Zone training exercise this Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The exercise is a simulated commercial warehouse fire at the old Lady Lee Milk Plant, 480 N. Spruce St. Fire units from Escondido, San Marcos, Vista, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Rancho Santa Fe, Solana Beach, Fallbrook, and the Pala Reservation participated. The emphasis of the exercise is to locate and rescue a lost firefighter running low on air while maintaining fire attack operations. Firefighters were reminded of the importance of good communications, accountability, as well as command and control.