A new restaurant, “il Forno Pizzeria” has opened at 340 E. Grand Avenue. Funding for some of the exterior improvements at this location was through the City’s Façade and Property Improvement Program.
- Cruising Stars & Stripes Car Show, benefitting “Hugs from Home” a non-profit group that sends care packages to deployed soldiers. It will be held Saturday, May 31st from 9am – 3pm in Grape Day Park. There is no cost to attend and there will be music and food too.
- San Diego Century Bicycle Tour will be passing through Escondido in the Auto Park area also on Saturday, May 31st.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT UPDATES
- The U.S Department of Health and Human Services has submitted an application for a Conditional Use Permit for a Youth Special Needs Facility as a Government Services facility, to be operated by Southwest Keys. The project is proposed at the former Palomar Continuing Care facility on Avenida Del Diablo.
- Major Projects Update:
- Oak Creek (NUW) – Staff has received numerous public comments in response to the Notice of Preparation for the EIR, identifying concerns to be addressed in the EIR. The comments are being forwarded to the applicant’s consultant. Amanda Lane (NUW) – The applicant is working on a resubmittal package and has not provided an anticipated resubmittal date.
- Zak/NCA Development – The City Council hearing date has been tentatively scheduled for 6/11/14.
- Centerpointe 78 Commercial: – Preparation of the draft EIR is underway; the first screen check anticipated in mid-June.
- North Broadway Deficiency Area Projects: – The Planning Commission approved the two 16-lot subdivisions at 926 Lehner Ave (Baker), and 836 Stanley Ave. (Boer) on May 27th. The projects a scheduled for Council consideration on June 18th.
- County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA): The Planning Commission concurred with the general Plan conformance finding for the County’s plans to consolidate existing administrative and health services offices from locations in Escondido and North San Diego County to 649 W. Mission Avenue.
- The Building Department issued 52 permits for the week with a valuation of $59,318. Permits were primarily minor miscellaneous type permits. The building counter was busy averaging 30 visitors a day with 25 visitors on Friday. Inspections averaged 21 per day with 19 on Friday.
- Building issued 18 photovoltaic permits this week, 41 this month and a total of 212 permits to date.
- Building conducted rough electric and foundation inspection approvals for the new pylon sign at North County Mall.
- Habitat for Humanity has received foundation and underground plumbing approvals for one single family dwelling and 3 duplexes on N. Elm St. Habitat’s Builder’s Blitz for the construction of these units will begin on Monday June 2nd with the anticipated final inspections on Friday June 6th.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS
2013 - 2014 Pavement Repair and Rehabilitation Program:
The project is completed and will go to Council for approval on June 18th.
Red Flex Camera Removal:
The contractor to submit traffic control for removal of camera’s. Work should start in a couple weeks
1146 East Valley Parkway- McDonald’s Restaurant:
The construction fence has been taken down. Landscaping is being placed on site. Final street stripping and signage will take place Saturday morning May 31.
Tract 888-Cambell Court:
The contractor is forming and placing concrete for the driveways, sidewalks and the remaining section of cross gutter.
Black Angus-North County Fair:
The contractor has started the work for the connection to the city water main.
Church of the Resurrection:
The private sewer line has been completed. The contractor started construction of the site retaining walls.
- Police Athletic League graduate and Law Student Patti Ojeda is starting her internship with the City.
- The Padres Youth Camp begins this week in Support of the PAL program and Star-Pal.
An “After-Action” meeting with all of the Section Chiefs who responded to the Emergency Operations was held on May 28 to discuss successes and areas for improvement in the future.