The Library Board of Trustees provides oversight of library services and advises the City Council, City staff, and the Library Director on the development of plans, policies, and programs that are responsive to community needs. Trustees are empowered to help guide the future direction of library services, provide oversight of the implementation of the professional services contract with Library Systems & Services, and aid in the establishment of performance metrics. Additional areas of focus include:
- Overseeing the implementation of the 5-year strategic plan which was approved by the Board in July 2018;
- Reviewing customer concerns and suggestions;
- Generating public support and participation in library programs;
- Determining expenditures of library trust funds;
- Reviewing and approving policies and fees recommended by staff;
- Coordinating with other library support groups such as Friends of the Library, the Escondido Library Foundation, the Pioneer Room Friends, and the Friends of Literacy Services.