Don’t let the spirit of giving extend to criminals! The following are a few timely reminders:
- Park in a well-lit space
- Don’t carry a lot of cash—use checks/ credit cards
- Keep purchases in your trunk, not in plain view
- If returning to the store, move your car to another area
- Lock your car
When at home:
- Window coverings should be closed so gifts can’t be seen
- Before you go to bed or leave home, check, close, and lock windows or doors, including the garage door
- Get an automatic timer for lights
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home and to park in the driveway from time to time
- Stop delivery of mail/newspaper
And, when celebrating the New Year:
- Don’t drink and drive. Encourage designated drivers and have the number for a taxi service on hand. If hosting a party, make sure non-alcoholic beverages are available.
- All fireworks are dangerous and illegal in Escondido.
- Ring in the New Year with noisemakers or pots and pans, not with a bang of a gun or the slam of a cell door!
Originally Posted December 05, 2013