If you own a home located within the Old Escondido Neighborhood you need to contact the City's Planning Division before you do that home improvement project – even if your home is not on the City's Local Register. Review and issuance of a Certificate of Appropriateness is required if you plan to:

  • Paint the exterior
  • Replace the roof
  • Change your windows
  • Build a garage or carport
  • Build a fence
  • Construct a room addition
  • Build or change a front porch

Larger modification projects will be reviewed by the City's Design Review Board to ensure the historic character of your home is not modified with any proposed modifications.

If you purchase a home that has an existing Mills Act Contract, you should get anapplication from the Planning Division to revise the list of improvements to better fit your goals for preserving the property.

For more information, please contact the City of Escondido Planning Division at 760-839-4671.