- Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store opened last Wednesday.
- The California Association for Local Economic Development (CALED) reports that third quarter 2013 job growth was slow across all states, although California ranked 19th highest with a 1.5% increase. San Diego County’s job growth increased by 1.8%. In addition the unemployment rate in September 2013 showed that two-thirds of California’s markets were still experiencing double-digit unemployment rates with the overall state average being 9.2%. However, San Diego County’s rate was 7.7%
- The following is a link to a very positive article in today’s Union Tribune regarding the local craft beer industry:
- The DBA’s Chocolate Festival is this Saturday, February 8, 2014 from 1 – 4 p.m. They will be using Maple Street Plaza for live entertainment and vendors and have wine, beer and chocolate tasting at participating businesses. For more information visit: http://www.escondidochocolatefestival.com/event-information.html
- On February 22, from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. in Grape Day Park Frank Woolridge will be recruiting volunteers for future voter registration efforts. Due to the nature and size of the event no Special Event permit is required.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT UPDATES
- SANDAG has released a new report of poverty statistics within the County, including statistics for each jurisdiction, available at the following link:
- Staff met with representatives from Concordia Homes regarding their proposed annexation of the Valley View property for the Safari Highlands residential project. The applicants are preparing conceptual plans to accompany an anticipated request to initiate annexation.
- Major Projects Update:
- Oak Creek (NUW) – The applicant is preparing improvement plans for Hamilton Road to address impacts to the septic systems of the affected properties on the north side.
- Amanda Lane (NUW) – Staff met with the applicants regarding the need for a specific alignment plan for Gamble Lane, which provides access to the property. The applicants also met with LAFCO regarding the annexation requirements for the project under SB 244, to address adjacent disadvantaged communities. LAFCO staff indicated that properties whose owners expressed interest in annexation will be added to the NUW application; and that since the annexation survey of other adjacent properties was inconclusive, a separate annexation application will be required to be submitted concurrently.
- Zak/NCA Development – Staff will complete review of the revised plans early next week. Centerpointe – EIR Consultant interviews are scheduled for 2/12/14 in anticipation of the applicant’s submittal of a traffic study this week.
- Building issued 53 permits, including 11 photovoltaic permits, for a total valuation of $259,000. The majority of the permits were tenant improvements, room additions and plumbing, mechanical and electrical permits. The Building counter was very busy, averaging 37 daily sign-ins. Inspections averaged 24 per day.
- Talk of The Town (400-444 Brotherton Road) and Contempo (203 S. Orange St.) continue to progress through their construction phases. The Walmart grocery store received their Certificate of Occupancy.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS
2013 - 2014 Pavement Repair and Rehabilitation Program:
The concrete subcontractor is replacing damaged concrete improvements along East Valley Parkway from Midway Drive to Citrus Avenue. The paving contractor will begin the night time operation for the pavement restoration on Monday, February 10, 2014. The hours of work will be between 8:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
Grape Street Public Improvement Project:
The construction of retaining walls and concrete surface improvements is ongoing.
Escondido Creek Trail Lighting:
The pedestrian lighting project is complete and operational. A ribbon cutting ceremony is being planned for March 8, 2014 at dusk. More details about it will be coming soon.
Encino Drive & El Dorado Drive- Storm Drain Replacement:
The final storm drain structure has been started along Eldorado Drive. The contractor is preparing the existing storm drain pipe for permanent abandonment.
1146 East Valley Parkway- McDonald’s Restaurant:
The new traffic signal poles are in place and operational.
Tract 888-Cambell Court:
The construction of the on-site sewer system is ongoing.
- The Command Staff represented the Escondido Police Department at the Special Olympics Torch Run kick off dinner at Sea World this past week.
- Escondido will have 3 graduates at the 97th Police Academy graduation ceremony this week.
- Escondido Public Safety Dispatcher Joganic and an 11 year old Escondido boy were honored this week at the Local 9-1-1 Hero’s Awards Ceremony. The award commemorated the boy’s proper use of 9-1-1 and the Dispatcher’s quick action to provide help. The boy called 9-1-1 to report that his mother was having difficulty breathing. The child remained calm, provided information and answered the Dispatcher’s questions. His brave actions and quick thinking allowed the Dispatcher to immediately send paramedics to the scene.
- Grape Day Task Force
The Police Department continues its enforcement details as call volume allows, up to several times a day in the park and surrounding areas. Since the start of the increased focus, the police department has conducted 1336 extra patrols in the park, 196 field interviews, 96 citations and 93 arrests. The Bike Team Officers, Adan Martinez and Russ Whitaker, continue to focus their efforts in the downtown area including Grape Day Park, Maple Plaza and Signature Pavilion. They are assisted by Patrol Officers and especially our two Community Policing Officers; Aaron Reber and Lew Shaver. There were no significant arrests reported.
A man committed suicide near the CCAE and the parking lot last week.
The homeless shelter opened up December 1, 2013. We are already in communication with Sobering Services (NCIC) at 550 W. Washington Ave in order to help facilitate proactive use of the facilities/programs available to the homeless in our community and minimize impact at Grape Day Park and surrounding areas.
Please refer to http://www.grapedaypark.org/ for special event information in the Park. For a list of all Escondido Events visit: http://visitescondido.com/event-calendar/
The next Task Force Meeting will be in February on a date to be determined.
Foot Patrols: 1336
Field interviews: 196