City economic development staff members will be setting up a meeting with Palomar Health’s Chief Innovation Officer, Orlando Portale, to learn more about it.
- Improvements are nearly completed at the “Visit Escondido” office at the Police Storefront at 235 E. Grand Avenue. We will hold an open house on Friday, August 16 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. Please stop by to see the new office.
- On Saturday, August 24, the Escondido Soccer Club has their opening day scheduled at Ryan Park starting at 8:00 am. This is a very large event and councilmembers are welcome to attend.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT UPDATES
- The Request for Proposals for the Grape Day Park Master Plan, including the proposed design of the play equipment, will be issued this week; responses are due in early September.
- Building issued 53 permits for the week with a total valuation of $2,469,941. Permits were issued for 4 new buildings at the Contempo project with a total of 19 units. Work is continuing on building #2. Walmart is nearing final inspection approval. The grocery outlet at 1516 E Valley Pkwy received a final inspection approval on 08/02/13. A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy was issued for the 3 story 59,000 square foot office building at 1977 Citracado Pkwy.
- The Building Permit Activity Report for July is attached.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS
Grape Street Gas Main Relocation:
The SDG&E did not start the replacement project as scheduled. Staff has contacted the representative to determine the next available start date.
Staff has approved the Caltrans design for the median located along Ash Street at Pennsylvania Avenue. The project engineer has been directed to move forward with the revision process.
Lincoln Avenue @ Midway Drive Gas Main Replacement and Testing Station:
Traffic striping was placed this week along the newly paved roadway. SDG&E is waiting for the delivery of the monitoring station.
Cox Communication Downtown System Upgrade: Phase 2, 3 and 4
The splicing and final installation of conductors is continuing. The scheduled concrete replacement has been put on hold.
Contempo Townhomes-Tract 921:
Additional pot holing was required to develop a solution to an existing utility in conflict with the new 12” water main. The townhome models are now open.
Mission Avenue 69 kv Electrical Line:
SDG&E crews are splicing conductors on Mission Avenue at Beech Street. A second crew is in the Ash Street substations installing new equipment.
Resurrection Church: Storm Drain and Sewer Main Replacement:
The project engineer has submitted revised improvement plans to address a utility conflict halting the storm drain pipe installation.
AT&T Vault Installation: Escondido Boulevard & 2nd Avenue
The contractor was required to use a rock breaker this past week to remove a piece of blue granite interfering with the new vault installation. The obstruction has been cleared and the work within the vault has commenced.
Del Lago Academy:
The contractor is continuing to complete the final punch list items relating to the offsite improvements.
Palomar College: Escondido Education Center
The contractor is removing the existing driveway entrances along Midway Drive and replacing them with new concrete sidewalk improvements.
- The San Diego County Explorer Academy was held last week and EPD was once again a participant with both explorers and staff. The event was held at UCSD.
- The PD Facebook page continues to increase in “likes”. Current count is 934.
- PD showcased one of their new Ford Police Interceptor SUV patrol vehicles at National Night Out on August 6. Other agencies are moving to this platform.
- On Friday, we will be celebrating the graduation of three entry level officers from the San Diego Regional Public Safety Training Institute (the Police Academy): Phillip Jared, Chad Moore, and Cory Spinos will be done with the academy and begin our field training.
- The homicide suspect from last week is still outstanding. We have been working with the local media and posting his picture on our social media in the hopes someone will know where he is an turn him in to us.
- Grape Day Task Force:
The Police Department continues its enforcement details several times a day in the park and surrounding areas. Since the start of the increased focus, the police department has conducted 829 extra patrols in the park, 147 field interviews, 73 citations and 77 arrests. New Bike Officer Adan Martinez is now partnered with Officer Russ Whitaker as the bicycle team and has been focusing on the downtown area consistently.
Officers continue to monitor the park to ensure individuals are not violating the park rule hours by sleeping in the park overnight. Graveyard officers monitor it nightly but still have not found any violators. Maple Street Plaza continues to have more use during the summer months, particularly families andthere have been no reports of problems.
EPD officers continue to monitor Signature Plaza based on the increased reports of teens violating the no skateboarding and bicycling signage. One of the tables at the plaza was moved in an effort to decrease the loitering on the plaza. The table was moved to an area in the center to decrease the amount of illegal bicycling in the area. Although they continue to congregate in the area and the sidewalk adjacent to Starbucks, Eddie Goldberg and contract security have not reported any more instances of teens causing problems in the area.
Fencing is planned to be installed around the trunk of the recently removed Eucalyptus tree to prevent persons from climbing on it.
CCAE has not reported any more instances of graffiti or vandalism.
Classical Academy has been out of school for the summer but will return in about two weeks. Boys and Girls Club and SD Children’s Museum had no problems to report.
The next movie in the park is Saturday night, August 17, the History Center will be present the next family movie in the park, “Madagascar 3”. They hope to have another great turn out. http://www.escondidohistory.org/2013_movies_flyer.pdf
Plans are under way for the following events in the park. Grape Day Parade and 5K Run, September 7, 2013, and City of Escondido 125th Anniversary Celebration, October 6, 1-4 pm.
The next Task Force Meeting will be Tuesday August 20, 2013.