- Attached is the second quarter report on special events/film permits in Escondido. The number of special events more than doubled from the first quarter, jumping from 11 events to 24.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT UPDATES
- Planning staff met with Jerry Harmon and Tony Endress representing the Coalition of Environmental Organizations. Initially, the group will meet monthly to provide early discussion anticipated projects and environmental issues.
- SANDAG will hold a workshop on August 5 to discuss Transportation Project Evaluation Criteria as part of the San Diego Forward – The Regional Plan Project. The workshop will be held from 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM at the Caltrans District Office in San Diego. The flyer is attached.
Building issued 46 permits for the week with a total valuation of $489,035. The Wal-Mart store is proceeding with their storage racks and working towards a final inspection. Plans for the East Valley Community Center tenant improvement for the new Heritage Academy have received their first set plan review comments. Permits were issued for the tenant improvement at 155 W Grand, John Paul the Great University.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS
Grape Street Gas Main Relocation:
SDG&E has confirmed that construction of the gas main will begin on August 5.
Caltrans has returned the submitted improvement plans to the project engineer for review. City staff should be contacted by the end of the week.
Lincoln Avenue @ Midway Drive Gas Main Replacement and Testing Station:
Staff is monitoring completion of the final punch list items.
Cox Communication Downtown System Upgrade: Phase 2, 3 and 4
The contractor is pulling in cable along the one mile route. We have been informed that replacement of the concrete improvements will begin next week.
Contempo Townhomes-Tract 921:
The contractor is completing installation and testing of a temporary water main for the second time. It was determined the previous location fell within the footing of the next unit to be constructed. The start date for construction of the 12” water main replacement has been postponed until next week.
Mission Avenue 69 kv Electrical Line:
SDG&E crews are on Mission Avenue near Juniper Street splicing conductors. The work on Reidy Creek bridge at Mission Avenue has been completed.
Resurrection Church: Storm Drain and Sewer Main Replacement:
The sewer main is being constructed along Conway Drive this week. The potholing of utilities is continuing along El Norte Parkway. The contractor discovered an SDG&E package that will need to be addressed before the start of pipeline construction set for next week.
AT&T Vault Reconstruction: Escondido Boulevard & 2nd Avenue
The contractor has completed the removal of the old concrete vault.
Del Lago Academy:
The school is completing the final offsite improvements which include striping and signage installation.
Palomar College: Escondido Education Center
The offsite improvements were started this week which include driveway and street light construction. The onsite parking lot is being prepared for the placement of asphalt pavement.
- On Tuesday, August 6, 2013, from 5 to 8 p.m., the Police Department will host the annual National Night Out at the Police and Fire Headquarters. They will have displays, information booths, and tours of the Headquarters. They will also be showcasing the new Police Interceptor SUV patrol vehicles.
- Last week Detective Witholt was formally recognized at the Scottish Rites Officer of the Year Awards in San Diego. PD honored Detective Witholt and announced his award at the EPD Awards Ceremony earlier this year.
- PD has been investigating cases of prowlers entering homes through unlocked windows. They have released information to the media and conducted interviews as well as posted safety tips on the PD website and Facebook for residents to close windows and doors at night and to call the police immediately if they see a suspicious person or intruder.
- Grape Day Task Force - The Police Department continues its enforcement details several times a day in the park and surrounding areas. Since the start of the increased focus, the police department has conducted 811 extra patrols in the park, 139 field interviews, 73 citations and 77 arrests.
There were no calls for service at Grape Day for the past week. However there were only 5 calls for service for the entire month of July 2013, compared to the month of July 2012, where there were 17 calls for service. Officers continue to monitor the park to ensure individuals are not violating the park rule hours by sleeping in the park overnight. Graveyard officers monitor it nightly but have not found any violators. Maple plaza continues to be quiet also. There was one call for service regarding a female described as a transient yelling at people. The EPD PERT officer responded and knew the individual. After she was evaluated by the PERT team, she complied with the officer’s request and left the area.
EPD officers continue to monitor Signature Plaza based on the increased reports of teens violating the no skateboarding and bicycling signage. Although they continue to congregate in the area and the area of the sidewalk adjacent to Starbucks, Eddie Goldberg and contract security has not reported any more instances of teens causing problems in the area. There were no calls for service or arrests during the past week.
Public Works continues to monitor the portable toilets for damage and maintenance. Park Rangers will start opening the bathrooms regularly on the weekends.
Fencing is planned to be installed around the trunk of the recently removed Eucalyptus tree to prevent persons from climbing on it.
CCAE has not reported any more instances of graffiti or vandalism.
No reports from Classical Academy, Boys and Girls Club and SD Children’s Museum.
The next movie in the park is Saturday night, August 3. the History Center will be present the next family movie in the park, “Lorax”. They hope to have a great turn out similar to the last one.
Plans are under way for the following events in the park. Grape Day Parade and 5K Run, September 7, 2013, and City of Escondido 125th Anniversary Celebration, October 6, 1-4 pm.
The next Task Force Meeting will be Tuesday August 20, 2013.