I. Historic Designation Application
The following information is required to list properties on the City's Historic Local Register:
- Escondido Historic Designation Application (2 pages)
- State DPR 523 Form (3 pages)
Information to assist in filling out this DPR 523 form can be found online. Additional historic information regarding your property may also be available to you. (See the "More Info" section at the bottom of this page.)
NOTE: There is currently no fee to process the Historic Designation application. Your application will be reviewed by the Planning Division. A planner may contact you for further information during that process.
II. Mills Act Application
Prior to receiving the Mills Act, State law requires that all properties be listed on the National, State, or City of Escondido's Local Register of Historic Places (see I. above). Listing on the Local Register may be considered simultaneously with processing a Mills Act application.
NOTES: (1) Historic Status: Properties identified in the City's Historic Survey are not necessarily listed on the Local Register. Call Planning at 760-839-4671 to confirm a property's historic status. (2) Mills Act Processing: There is currently no fee to process a Mills Act application. Applications will be reviewed by the Planning Division. A planner may contact you for further information during that process. The required document submittals, reviews, Historic Preservation Commission and City Council public hearings, approvals, signatures and final recordation by the County Recorder of your Mills Act contract all need to be completed by December 31st to go into effect the following year. It is highly recommended you submit all documentation early in the year to ensure approval by year's end. Submittals after August are generally not successful.
The Mills Act will require the submittal of several documents and forms.
- Historic Property Preservation (Mills Act Application – 2 pages)
- Historic Property Preservation Agreement (Actual draft Mills Act contract – 6 pages)NOTE: You need only to initial and sign this draft copy of the contract now. Later a final version with owner and property information will require initials, signatures and notarization. We have free notary service available at City Hall if you need it; please call in advance to arrange notary service at City Hall.
- State DPR 523 Form (3 pages) – If you are already completing this for Historic Designation (I. above), only one copy is necessary. If your property was listed on the Local Register before 1999, a completed DPR form will still be required. Information to assist in filling out this DPR 523 form can be found online. Additional historical information regarding your property may also be available to you. (See "More Info" below.)
More Info: To further assist you with the DPR form, some historic analysis information about your specific property may already be available in the City's Historic Survey binders at City Hall's Planning Division, from the Escondido History Center located in Grape Day Park, or from the Main Public Library's Pioneer room. Access to this information at all locations is free. Call 760-839-4671 for City Hall's Planning Division, 760-743-8207 for the History Center, and 760-839-4315 for the Pioneer room or visit them online.