If you have a specific question, please call the Code Compliance Division at 760-839-4650 or e-mail us.

Due to the unique nature of individual cases, the answers below are general in nature and may not apply to every situation. This is not an all-inclusive list of everything the Code Compliance Division handles.


How soon will you investigate the property after I file a complaint?

In most circumstances, the property will be inspected within five business days after we receive the complaint form. Health and Safety concerns will be investigated as soon as possible.

If you would like to file a Code Compliance Complaint, you may use the online form or you may come into the Code Compliance counter at City Hall, located at 201 North Broadway, and fill one out in person.

Do you take anonymous complaints?

The Code Compliance Division does not take anonymous complaints. Our complaint process is confidential and complainant information will be kept confidential to the fullest extent of the law.

Does the City of Escondido handle issues in Valley Center or unincorporated areas of Escondido?

Valley Center and unincorporated areas of Escondido are handled by the County of San Diego Code Compliance Division. Please contact them at 760-940-2893.

Property Maintenance

How do I report graffiti?

Please call the Graffiti Removal Hotline at 760-839-4OFF (4633) or use the online form.

My neighbor leaves their trash cans out all week. Can they do that?

Trash cans are allowed to be placed at the curb/pickup location at 6:00 p.m. the night before collection and must be removed before 6:00 p.m. the day of collection.

My neighbor has items stored in the driveway. Can they do that?

The Property Maintenance Ordinance 6-484 regulates the storage of certain items in public view. Items such as boxes, tires, trash cans, furniture and appliances in public view are a violation of the code.

There is water draining from my neighbor’s property onto my property. Is that a violation?

Drainage from a private property onto another private property causing damage is a civil issue.


Can I turn my garage into a bedroom, office, workshop, etc?

Building permits and Planning Division approval are required to change the use of any structure. In 1965, the Escondido Zoning Code was amended to require that all properties have off-street covered parking. If the existing covered parking is removed, alternate covered parking must be provided.

I bought a house with an existing illegal garage conversion. Am I still responsible to obtain a building permit?

The current property owner recorded on Title is responsible for all building violations that may exist.


How many pets can I have in the city of Escondido?

Depending on the zoning of your specific property, there are different allowable numbers of pets you may have. Please call the Code Enforcement Division at 760-839-4650 and we can look up the Zoning of your property. CHAPTER 33 Zoning

My neighbor’s dog barks all day. Whom can I call to complain?

Depending on the circumstances, the Escondido Humane Society or the Escondido Police Department may address the public disturbance. Code Compliance can only regulate the number of dogs on the property.

Escondido Humane Society – 760-888-BARK
Escondido Police Non-Emergency Line – 760-839-4722

Business Licensing

Do I need a Business License?

All businesses in the city of Escondido are required to obtain a business license. Please contact the Business License Division at 760-839-4659 for information on how to obtain one.

Is a permit required for signage at my business?

Signage in the city of Escondido requires an application and review by the Planning Division. Please contact the Planning Division at 760-839-4671.

Can I put signs in the windows of my business?

The amount of sign coverage allowed depends on the zoning of your property. Please contact the Planning Division at 760-839-4671.

Our business is planning a special event. Do I need a permit?

The Planning Division may require a Special Event Permit. Please contact them at 760-839-4671.

Do I need a permit or business license to have a garage/yard sale?

Garage/yard sales do not require a permit or business license. Garage/yard sales may take place four (4) times a year and may last up to three (3) consecutive days. The sale may take place between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Garage/yard sales are permitted only at single-family residences including mobile home lots. DIVISION 7. GARAGE AND YARD SALES


My neighbors are constantly playing loud music or having loud parties. Whom can I call?

For nuisance noise issues, call the Escondido Police Department's non-emergency line at 760-839-4722.

My neighbors are having construction work done and its very noisy. How late can they work in the evening? How early can they start?

The operation of construction equipment is allowed to occur between the following hours:

Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sundays and Holidays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (by the homeowner only)

If construction activity/noise is taking place past these hours, please call the Escondido Police Department's non-emergency line at 760-839-4722.

Health and Safety

My home has mold caused by water damage. Can you test the air?

The Code Compliance Division does not obtain or analyze air samples. Residents can contact an independent testing company or laboratory for this service.

My neighbor's pool is green and breeding mosquitoes. Whom can I call?

The Code Compliance Division can address the maintenance of the pool causing the breeding of mosquitoes. The County of San Diego Vector Control Program will also respond and treat the water with mosquito eating fish.


My rental unit has cockroaches and rodents. I have asked the property owner to correct this but they have not done so. Can you help?

The Code Compliance Division has the authority to enforce the Uniform Housing Code that addresses rodent or insect infestation.

Vehicles and Parking

How long can I have a vehicle parked on the street?

Parking regulations on public streets are enforced by the Escondido Police Department. The non-emergency line is 760-839-4722.

There is an abandoned/inoperable vehicle in my neighbor’s driveway. Whom do I call?

The Code Compliance Division enforces inoperable vehicles on private property. Please call 760-839-4650.

Can I park a vehicle on my front yard?

Front yard parking is not allowed with the exception of:

The driveway, which is defined as a permanently surfaced area providing direct access for vehicles between a street and a permitted off-street parking or loading area and extending to a maximum width equal to the curb cut approved by the City Engineer. Sec. 28-300

The Supplemental Parking Space as defined in EZC 33-94.

Can I park my recreational vehicle at my home?

Article 25 of the Escondido Zoning Code provides the criteria to park your recreational vehicle on a residential property. Recreational vehicles are required to be stored in rear or side yards. If your property does not have suitable access to these areas, parking on the front yard may be permitted but there are additional requirements. Please contact the Planning Division at 760-839-4671 or Code Compliance at 760-839-4650 before parking a recreational vehicle on a front yard.