RISK AND SAFETY TECHNICIAN
(An Unclassified, At-Will Position)
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under general supervision, performs a variety of technical, administrative, and advanced level clerical duties in support of the Risk Management and Safety Division of the Human Resources department; provides information and assistance to various agencies, departments, and City employees regarding assigned activities, processes, policies, and procedures; coordinates activities related to area of assignment including coordinating with outside insurance brokers, insurance carriers, and ergonomic consultants for various insurance and ergonomic needs; inputs, maintains, and tracks data utilizing a computerized database system; and performs a variety of tasks requiring specialized knowledge related to area of assignment.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of files, logs, and records; inputs, maintains, and tracks data utilizing a computerized database system related to areas of assignment including risk management liability claims, employee blood borne pathogen exposures, City vehicle accidents, ADA requests for accommodation, ergonomic requests and work orders, Cal-OSHA safety records, City hazardous material, occupational medical exams for police, public works, and fire personnel, safety contracts and public service agreements, and risk management records.
- Provides information and general assistance to various agencies, City departments, and City employees regarding risk management and safety activities, processes, policies, and procedures; assists in resolving routine problems; researches policies, laws, and procedures to answer questions and respond to requests for information; explains and applies interpretations of risk management and safety procedures, polices, and rules.
- Coordinates with outside insurance brokers and carriers to procure and maintain insurance certificates that meet City standards.
- Coordinates with outside consultants to schedule job analysis and ergonomic assessments; coordinates interview process and preparation of reports; may travel to various City locations to assistant with interviews and report preparation; coordinates with Human Resources staff to prepare job descriptions based on the job analysis.
- Oversees special events and vendor insurance programs; processes checks and payments related to program; prepares quarterly payment to broker; completes required documents.
- Coordinates and facilities the recovery process related to 3rd party fault City vehicle accidents; contacts the City Attorney’s Office, 3rd party, 3rd party insurance, City employee, and small claims court; tracks process through finalization; may travel to various locations for recovery issues.
- Participates in developing and monitoring the assigned budget; compiles annual budget requests; monitors approved budget accounts.
- Utilizes various computer applications and software packages; develops, enters data, maintains, and generates reports from a database or network system; creates, maintains, and utilizes data to develop worksheets and reports using spreadsheet software; creates, formats, and revises charts, graphs, worksheets, forms, and other documents using word processing software.
- Participates in the collection, compilation, and analysis of information from various sources on a variety of specialized topics related to assigned programs; participates in the preparation of reports that present and interpret data, identify alternatives, and make and justify recommendations.
- Schedules, arranges, and coordinates meetings, training sessions, and presentations; arranges for refreshments; coordinates facility or room set-up and clean-up.
- Communicates with outside agency and employees’ supervisors to relate and/or obtain DMV pull notice information.
- Provides general clerical and administrative support to the Risk Management and Safety Division as well as the Human Resources Department and City Attorney’s Office as necessary; performs clerical duties including copying, filing, collating, mailing, and shredding papers.
- Composes and types letters, memoranda, and other correspondence related to assigned programs and activities.
- Operates a variety of office equipment including computer, copiers, facsimile machine, and calculator.
- Orders and maintains stock for all ergonomic supplies, state and federal posters, pamphlets, and other documents.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings as required; takes and maintains minutes for team meetings.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the fields of risk management and safety.
- Performs related duties as required.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
- Risk management and safety principles, practices, and terminology.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers.
- Computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and statistical databases.
- Principles and practices of fiscal, statistical, and administrative research and report preparation.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation.
- Methods and techniques of public relations and customer service.
- Mathematical principles.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations related to area of assignment.
- Basic methods and techniques of public speaking.
- Perform a full range of technical, advanced clerical, and routine administrative and programmatic work of a specialized nature involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Provide technical risk management and safety services independently in the absence of supervision.
- Participate in the administration of assigned risk management and safety programs and functions.
- Answer questions and provide information to City employees, outside agencies, and the general public requiring the interpretation and explanation of risk management and safety programs, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain accurate and complete records and files.
- Understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Understand, interpret, and apply general and specific administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Effectively represent the City to employees and outside individuals and agencies.
- Research, compile, analyze, and interpret data.
- Participate in the preparation of a variety of reports.
- Prepare correspondence and memoranda.
- Implement and maintain standard filing systems.
- Type and/or enter data at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Operate and use modern office equipment including a computer and various software packages.
- Work under steady pressure with frequent interruptions and a high degree of public contact by phone or in person.
- Exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality in maintaining critical and sensitive information, records, and reports.
- Organize work to meet priorities and deadlines.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Demonstrate an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the community.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience Guidelines - Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education/Training: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by college level course work in safety, risk management, human resources, business administration, or a related field.
Experience: Two years of experience performing clerical and technical duties in support of a risk management, safety, or related program.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Standard office setting. CONTINUOUS working indoors, dust from paperwork. Work environment is both formal and informal, team oriented, having variable tasks, pace and pressure. Work is performed indoors in office and in meeting rooms.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability to work in an office setting and operate office equipment. CONTINUOUS sitting, upward and downward flexion of neck; fine finger dexterity and light to moderate finger pressure to manipulate keyboard, equipment controls and other office equipment; pinch grasp to manipulate writing utensils. FREQUENT side-to-side turning of neck, walking, standing, bending and stooping, pushing/pulling, twisting at waist, moderate wrist torque to twist equipment knobs and dials; lifting objects weighing up to 20 lbs. from below waist to above shoulders and transporting distances up to 50 yards. OCCASIONAL squatting, kneeling, reach above and at shoulder height, moderate grasp to manipulate reference books and manuals; lifting objects weighing 20-3 5 lbs. from below waist to above shoulders and transporting distances up to 50 feet.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents and to operate equipment.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Date: November 2001
Johnson & Associates