"Use Less Stuff" Gift Shopping Ideas
- Give your loved ones tickets to their favorite sporting event, movie, play, or concert.
- Buy a gift you know will be used and appreciated such as a gift certificate to a favorite store or restaurant.
- Give a gym or museum membership.
- At the mall, consolidate your purchases into one bag rather than getting a new bag at each store.
- Buy a backyard composter to recycle your food and yard waste at home. Call the Recycling Hotline at 760-839-4818 for information on purchasing a backyard composter.
- Give the gift of time. Nothing costs less or means more than spending time with loved ones.
- Write and illustrate a book about your child. This gift is sure to be a favorite for years to come.
- Choose a favorite cause of the recipient and make a donation. Do you know an animal lover? Make a donation to the local shelter in their name.
- Shop locally. Keep Escondido's economy strong, and save money on gas.
Remember to Reuse!
Before the gifts are opened, set aside boxes to save the following reusable materials:
- Ribbons and bows
- Gift bags and flattened gift boxes
- Foam peanuts (use these yourself or donate to a local packing/shipping store)
Creative Gift Wrapping
Make the wrapping part of the present. For instance, if you are giving someone bath oils or soaps, wrap the bath products in a new bath towel tied at the top with a festive ribbon!
Reduce Junk Mail
Before you recycle all of those unused gift catalogs, take a minute NOW to call their toll-free numbers and ask to be removed from their mailing list.
Did You Know?
If every family reused just two feet of holiday ribbon, the 38,000 miles of ribbon saved could tie a bow around the entire plant!
If each household canceled 10 mail-order catalogues, the stack of canceled catalogues would be 2,000 miles high!
Break down cardboard boxes to fit inside your recycling cart.
Wrapping paper is recyclable. Recycle used wrapping paper if it cannot be reused.