ENGINEERING AIDE I
Under direct supervision, does paraprofessional engineering office and field work for public works projects, and related improvements, and does related work as required.
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Maintains traffic volume records and assists in the gathering of traffic records;
- Assists public with permits, requests, inquiries and complaints;
- Makes engineering, algebraic and trigonometric computations of minor difficulty;
- Assists in preparing plot plans and maps from topographic and field survey notes;
- Makes field inspections as assigned;
- Acts as rodman and chairman in survey party, and cleans and maintains equipment;
- Assists in checking tentative and final subdivision maps and other public works related plans;
- May assist in checking and preparing legal descriptions, boundary descriptions and preliminary agreements;
- Records deeds and easements;
- May assist in computing grades, reducing cross-section notes and drawing alignments;
- Indexes and maintains section files of current project maps and drawings;
- May issue and record street addresses and record engineering data on maps;
- Writes correspondence, memorandums and engineering specifications.
Supervision may be received from an Engineering Technician or an Engineering Aide II; no supervision is exercised.
- Nomenclature, symbols, methods, practices, and instruments used in engineering, drafting, surveying, and map plotting;
- Methods and equipment used in collection and analysis of traffic flow data.
- Performing both pencil and ink drafting;
- Operating mechanical map reproduction equipment, and related engineering equipment.
- Read and interpret engineering maps and drawings;
- Perform basic algebraic and trigonometric functions;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Perform duties in a manner which demonstrates an understanding and respect for the diversity of City employees and the community.
Education and Experience – Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school, including completion of courses in drafting, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
License or Other Requirements – Possession of a valid California drivers license.
Revised by Department - PC1