The Department of Motor Vehicles office in Escondido, located at 725 N. Escondido Blvd, is scheduled to be closed for 6-9 months beginning May 10, 2013. It is closing because a lease agreement could not be reached at their current location. The office will be closed until a temporary space can be acquired. It is expected to take 9 months to set up a temporary space. A new permanent space is projected to open in summer 2015. Attached is a news release and flyer with more information about this, including service options available online at dmv.ca.gov, or other field offices where you can obtain in-person services.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT UPDATES
- SANDAG staff has completed the evaluation of grants under the Smart Growth Incentive Program (SGIP). The City had submitted two applications, including construction of the proposed “missing link” bicycle path and the preparation of a Master Plan for grape Day Park. Due to the volume of applications received, the City’s projects did not score high enough and neither project has been recommended for funding.
- A revised air quality study for the proposed expansion to the Weir asphalt plant CUP has been submitted for staff review; staff anticipates that additional analysis may be needed to demonstrate compliance with the City’s air quality standards and may necessitate the use of a third party analysis.
The Building Activity Report for March is attached.
The Quarterly Report for Code Enforcement activities is attached.
Staff has been working with Tom Crowley, the broker representing the H. Johnson building, and the Police Department on some property maintenance issues.
CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS
Oak Hill Street Modular Site Improvements:
The project has been idled this week.
2011/2012 Pavement Management:
The striping subcontractor will be restriping Grand Avenue between Valley Boulevard and Escondido Boulevard this Wednesday night.
The building construction is ongoing. The underground contractor is building the sewer system and the general contractor has imported base material for the construction of the parking lot.
Mission Avenue 69 KV Electrical Line:
The Jack & Bore operation has been delayed a week. SDG&E was not able to schedule the flagman that is required as part of the NCTD permit. The final hurdle has been cleared on Mission Avenue within the Caltrans right of way. All conduits were placed last night and testing will begin this week on this section of conduit package. The second crew is placing conduit on Mission Avenue near Fig Street. The third crew is trenching on Ash Street near the substation. They are encountering large volumes of ground water which must be removed and tested prior to its release to the sewer system. To date 14,724 feet of conduit has been placed which is 84.5 % of the project.
Adopt a Lot: Heritage Gardens
The final touches will be put in place this week in anticipation of the first night of Cruisin’ Grand this Friday.
Tract 921: Contempo Townhomes
The framing of the Townhomes along Orange Avenue is now moving to the second and third story. The contractor will be submitting traffic control plans for the installation of the proposed water line replacement on Centre City Parkway this next week.
713 West 13th Avenue: Redwood Terrace
The owner is replacing handicap ramps along 12th Avenue between Redwood Street and Tulip Street. They are also replacing all driveways along this area to make them ADA compliant.
City Facility Improvements
City Hall Exterior:
- Stucco repairs continue to be made to all damaged areas.
- Painting on the north and east side of Council Chambers is 85% complete.
- Painting of the 2nd floor south balcony trim is completed.
- Last week we began the pressure washing of all the buildings, starting with the museum.
- Remodeling of the CCAE Conference Center restrooms began Wednesday, April 3rd. It should be completed by Sunday, April 7th.
EVCC Interior Improvements:
- Painting of the reception area will be completed after the counter is modified.
- Reception counter design is being reviewed.
Library Roof Replacement:
Additional repairs are needed on the flat roofs.
- We had a shooting on Saturday night where a 17 year-old was shot in the upper body. The shooting happened at about 9 p.m. in the area of Lincoln and Gamble. The motive is still not clear. Detectives are working the case. The victim has survived the shooting and he should be okay. A news release about it was sent out.
- Grape Day Task Force:
The Police Department continues its enforcement details several times a day in the park and surrounding areas. Since the start of the increased focus, the police department has conducted 556 extra patrols in the park, 115 field interviews, 68 citations and 58 arrests.
The next Task Force Meeting will be Tuesday, April 16, 2013.